Coping up with Depression…
Dr Richa Mina
Depression while coping up with hardships thrown by life is not pathological. Giving into the bout of depression and forgetting yourself definitely calls for attention. Nowadays we’re living in a stressful environment and with less social bonding it’s very easy to go into depression.
Is it an illness?? YES
Is it curable?? Definitely
Do I need medication?? Might be
Should I tell anyone?? Obviously
Psychiatrist!!! Am I mad??? Due to neglect, myth and social stigma, a lot of curable mental illness is hidden. It doesn’t help in a lot of conditions it only makes the situation worst. So let’s talk about depression. Depression is just a state of mind in which a person feels low and hopeless. Is the situation always that bad?? MAYBE!! But let’s not let it take us under. If you’re feeling depressed:
Go out. Meet friends or family. Have a dinner/ lunch with loved ones. But don’t be alone. Being alone never helps in such situation and makes you feel more lonely.
- Do what you love the most. COOK, CLEAN, EMBROIDERY, BAKE, WORKOUT… anything that gives you some sense of purpose, do that.
- Decorate your room.
- Assemble your closet. Just do anything which will keep your mind occupied enough to distract you from foreboding and gloomy thoughts.
- PARLOR and COOKING works for me (Believe me now I’m a way better cook than before)
Go for a movie:
The movie, live shows always helps since it distracts us from our situation a bit and at times gives us a new perspective towards life too.
Ahaa!!! Now you have a new reason to shop. Nothing is as uplifting as shopping. Trust me on that. It’s healthy to do binge shopping at times. So GO, GIRL!! indulge yourself a little.
At times some problems don’t need solutions but just a different outlook from our side. Try not to rethink about situations you can’t change but just learn to ignore them enough that, they seize to affect you.
They’re considered as mood elevators so you could treat yourself. (Try CHOCOLATE TRUFFLE/ DEATH BY CHOCOLATE they’re worth it. forget the calories)
They always help. Whatever makes you happy eat that (next day you could hit the gym) a few cheat days in between dieting are healthy and uplifting.
Nothing can work better than a compliment or two. So make an extra effort, believe me, it’ll be worth it.
Talking to someone about the situation always helps. That’s what we have friends for. So talk to your BFF. Even if they won’t be able to help you with a solution but at times just talking helps.
- Drinking/ drugs/ substance abuse etc. it might seem like they’re helping but such substances are addicting and instead of pulling you out they might land you in the worst situation than before. All these substances reduce our rational thinking and exaggerate the emotions. Both of which are not better in depressive situations. So never drink to forget the pain.
- Rash decisions. Any decision taken is such situations should never be implemented on immediately. Always think over it and discuss with friends or family.
It never hurts to visit a doctor So, no harm in visiting Psychiatrist/ psychologist/ Psychotherapist. They’re professionally trained to treat and they’ll do their best to help you too.
Read more about Depression: Click Here
Do Not Let Depression Take you Under, Fight and Win.
The article is written as part of the #SuperBloggerChallenge2018 by #Instacuppa conducted by HealthWealthBridge.com, and AllAboutTheWoman.com and should not be repurposed, republished or use otherwise. The content herein is owned by the blogger. SuperBloggerChallenge2018 is not responsible for any infringement caused.