How to treat it?
Table of Contents
GERD or also known as Acid Reflux is now becoming one of the most upcoming diseases nowadays. In my Previous Post, I discussed a few very important facts about GERD or Acid Reflux in this post we’ll know about the treatment options.
Is reflux treatable?
Is GERD dangerous?
Yes, It could be Dangerous.
10% of cases of Chronic GERD could lead to a precancerous condition Barrett’s Esophagus which has 1% of chances of developing Adenocarcinoma Esophagus.
Maintaining a healthy lifestyle is essential even imperative but in GERD it’s therapeutic too. We need to make changes in the long term to improvement in Acid Reflux.
- Exercise/ Yoga/ Aerobics
- Avoid Late nights/ Less sleep
- Maintain a difference of 2 hours between food intake and sleeping
- Stop smoking
- No Alcohol
Maintaining better eating habits is always helpful. It’s essential for the treatment of GERD too.
- Avoid Oily/ Spicy Food
- Avoid aerated drinks/ coffee/ Tea/ Chocolate/ Peppermint
- Multiple small meals should be taken
- Don’t keep the stomach empty for a longer duration
- Salad diet
- Avoid citrus food
- No late-night snack
Few additional tips:
- Raise the head end of the bed to avoid reflux in night
- Avoid abdominal exercises
- Wear loose-fitting clothes
- H2 Blockers
- Proton Pump inhibitors (PPI)
Or a combination of above for a duration of 3-6 months
Fundoplication: narrowing of the Lower esophageal sphincter (LES) which could be achieved by many techniques:
- Laparoscopic Banding
- Titanium beads – LINX
All the above modalities are important but most of all lifestyle and dietary modification could lead to long term relief.
Healthy Stomach, Healthy Life.
- Scott Brown Otolaryngology and Head and Neck surgery Ed. 7
Disclaimer: This article is for reference purpose only, under no circumstances it should be used as a replacement of medical opinion by Professionals. Any decision regarding health and health care should be taken after professional advice only. Health care advice and information shared by the author is best to her knowledge. We disclaim all responsibilities for any inadvertent omission/ commission by the author or the website.