Home Care Tips leaving for Vacations
It’s the holiday season so people often plan for long holidays to visit relatives or to go on a trip. How should we prepare the house before leaving on such trips? I’ll share few home care tips here so that the house you come back to is not chaotic.
Complete the laundry:
Before going on a trip your pending laundry should be complete. When you return you’d return with pile and piles of clothes to be laundered so the load would be less if the previous laundry has been taken care of.
Empty the fridge of perishable things:
Remove all the perishable things like milk, fruits, veggies, cooked remains, breads, eggs etc. when you return from a long trip all the old things would be too old to be consumed so it’s better to give all the remaining things to someone or maid, so that you don’t return to a rotting smelly fridge.
If some open packets of spices or biscuits or chips are present then keep them in an air-locked jar or in the freezer it prevents the moisture.
It happened to me once and believe me it’s not good at all I still have nightmares of that rotten smelly episode.
Check all the taps:
Check all the taps and tanks before leaving and keep them full. You might return at odd timings and water supply timings are fixed so you might have to use the remaining water only.
- Washing Machine
Switch off the lights, fans, exhaust fans etc.
Do not switch off the power switch coz it’ll cut the power from your security system, fridge and RO water purifier.
- Tidy the house: Don’t leave a mess behind because it’ll be yours to clean when you return tired and would be looking for a clean nice bed to sleep.
- Postpone any parcels or orders: it’s difficult to ask people around you to receive the orders when you’re on holidays so postpone or cancel the orders.
- Pay the bills: especially mobile, electricity and water in advance.
- Don’t keep cash or jewelry in-house put it in bank or locker.
- Don’t inform the maid exact dates be vague and tell her you’ll call her when to join.
- Lock the cabinets and lockers
- Lock the main door and put an additional lock on the door.
- Put the security system on.
- Inform the neighbors or known person and ask them to keep a check on the house.
Enjoy your trip and I hope these tips would help you in locking up the house while going on a long trip.