Health Care after Kerala Floods:
Table of Contents
Kerala is facing disaster right now. It has been flooded since 8th August when heavy rain started. Despite the rescue and help, an enormous number of people are still suffering the aftereffects of the flood. Kerala is winning this battle but it still has a war looming ahead: disrupted Health Facilities.
Kerala should brace herself for next wave when the water recedes.
Health care system should be ready to face:
- Hepatitis A
Vector-borne diseases (transmitted by insects):
- Loose stools
- Cramps in abdomen
- Loss of appetite.
- Aggravation of diseases like Asthma/ COPD
Precautions to be taken by each individual during and after floods:
- Boiling of water.
- Chlorination of water.
- Do not drink or wash utensils from flood water.
Food Related care:
- Do not eat raw vegetables
- Boil and cook food properly
- Do not eat old or stale food
- Boil milk properly before consuming
- Avoid ill-cooked or undercooked non-veg food
- Wash properly before preparing meals
- Wash utensils properly
- Dispose off the waste properly
Promote better hygiene practices:
- Be clean keep surroundings clean
- Avoid being in flood water for the long duration.
- use plastic boots
- Wash properly
- Waste management should be proper
- Dress wounds properly.
Seek help early in case of:
- Fever with chills and rigors
- Headache, cold and cough
- Loose stools and vomiting
- Breathing difficulty
- Watering of eyes/ burning of eyes/ photosensitivity.
- Open wound
Get vaccinated for:
- Tetanus vaccination (if not done previously)
- Hepatitis A Vaccination
- Flu Vaccination
Floods have brought the whole of the country together and everyone has joined hands to provide relief in any means possible. Important supplies are being shipped, major cities have collection centers. To donate get in touch with them.
Financial help: Donate to Kerala Chief Minister Relief Funds. No amount is small to donate because it makes a huge difference to those who need it.
[Tweet “Financial help: Donate to Kerala Chief Minister Relief Funds. No amount is small to donate because it makes a huge difference to those who need it.”]
Help in any kind and every kind is appreciated. you could go through Quartz India Article for more helping bodies.