My Friend Alexa 2021: Post 5
Table of Contents
The thyroid gland is one of the most crucial glands of our body, it controls the metabolic rate of our body. It controls the energy consumption of our body so almost every system in the body is under the control of the Thyroid gland.
Thyroiditis is inflammation of the thyroid gland. The causes of inflammation could be many. It’s a genetically inherited condition and runs in the family.
- Thyrotoxic Phase: the thyroid gland initially is inflamed and produce a lot of thyroid hormone and dump it in the body. Leading to thyrotoxicosis (Hyperthyroid with very high readings).
- Hypothyroid Phase: after the thyrotoxic phase lasting for few weeks to months thyroid gland has no more hormones left so body goes into hypothyroid phase due to lack of thyroid hormones.
- Euthyroid Phase: after the hypothyroid phase the thyroid gland again builds up the hormones and it corrects the balance of the body back to normal stage.
Thyroiditis is of different types:
- Hashimoto Thyroiditis: It’s an Auto-immune type of thyroiditis, where the body starts producing the anti-bodies against thyroid gland causing it’s destruction. It’s a common condition of women. It causes hypothyroid condition, which is mostly permanent.
- Silent/ Painless Thyroiditis: it’s the second most common condition which is auto-immune disease. it’s a painless condition.
- Post-Partum Thyroiditis: After delivery at times the body produces Anti-Thyroid Antibodies against the thyroid gland causing hypothyroidism.
- Radiation induced Thyroiditis: It is caused by external radiation even the medically used one for to treat hyperthyroidism.
- De-Quervian’s/ Subacute Thyroiditis: It’s a very painful condition thought to be caused by Virus.
- Acute Suppurative Thyroiditis: It’s a very rare condition caused by bacterial organism.
- Drug Induced Thyroiditis: A few drugs may lead to thyroiditis like amiodarone, interferons, lithium, and cytokines
How do we know it’s Thyroiditis?
- Thyroid Function test
- Anti-thyroid antibody
- Complete blood count with ESR
- Thyroid scan
Treatment of thyroiditis is solely dependent on the symptoms:
- Thyrotoxic phase: it’s a temporary phase & it passes in few weeks to months it usually doesn’t require treatment
- Palpitations/ tremors: it’s usually controlled by Beta-Blockers
- Pain in Thyroid: it’s usually controlled by anti-inflammatory drugs. Rarely only the pain is so severe that it requires additional treatment.
- Hypothyroidism: The remnant hypothyroidism usually requires replacement hormones: Levo-thyroxine till the time that body reverts back to euthyroid state.
Although I’m just uncovering the tip of the iceberg here, I hope my post was helpful.
Alexa Global Rank: 369193
Alexa Country Rank: 24110
Be Happy, Be Healthy
Disclaimer: This post is a part of Blogchatter’s My friend Alexa 2021 Challenge.
- Post 1: https://livingherself.com/2021/09/20/my-friend-alexa-2021/
- Post 2: https://livingherself.com/2021/09/22/know-about-thyroid-diseases/
- Post 3: https://livingherself.com/2021/09/24/do-i-have-thyroid-disease-hypothyroidism/
- Post 4: https://livingherself.com/2021/09/27/do-i-have-hyperthyroidism/