Sinus Care is Essential during the Winters
Table of Contents
Paranasal sinuses are the cavities filled with air surrounding the nose. There are 4 sinuses around our nose. They’re responsible for proper ventilation of the nose, keeping the nose moist, and providing cushioning effect at the time of facial injuries. When these sinus gets clogged then they themselves start causing problems.
Symptoms of Sinus Diseases:
- Nasal blockage
- Nasal discharge
- Post nasal drip (secretions trickle down the throat causing irritation of the throat)
- Throat irritation
- Loss or reduced sense of smell
- Altered sense of taste
- Facial pain
- Recurrent ear and throat infections
Why does Sinus Disease happen?
Sinuses require proper aeration and drainage of secretions that are produced. If there’s an anatomical obstruction of the opening of the sinus then it gets blocked.
Continuous secretion accumulation causes the mucosa of the sinus wall to increase that in turn increases the blockage and soon it converts to polyps. These polyps even emerge from the sinus and could block the nose completely.
How could we prevent the disease?
Nasal hygiene has to be maintained to avoid nasal issues. If there is no anatomical blockage then the sinus could be easily maintained for a healthy nose.
Sinus Care Tips:
- Do not blow your nose hard it may cause bleeding
- Clean your nose gently after bathing
- Take steam regularly if you have a tendency of crusting in the nose
- Avoid nose picking
- Use saline nasal drops if living in a dry environment
- Maintain hydration
- Wear a mask in dusty and smoky surroundings
- Do Alkaline Nasal Douching if you suffer from sinus issues to keep it clean.
Make a solution and take a 20cc syringe. Remove the needle and fill the syringe with the solution. Put the syringe at the opening of the nose and bend your head. Flush both noses with the solution till the water is finished. Do that twice a day during the winter season to remove all the crust, accumulated secretions, and reduction of swelling.
If you regularly take care of your nose then it would not be obstructed or blocked.
What anatomical abnormalities could lead to Sinus Diseases?
- Deviated nasal septum
- Swollen turbinate
- Allergic predisposition
- Narrow nose
Avoid a few things to have better Nasal Hygiene:
- Nose picking
- Prolonged exposure to heat/ moist environment
- Prolonged use of Medications like Xylometazoline/ Oxymetazoline
- Recreational drug inhalation
I hope my tips would help you breathe better. Be hooked on the blog for further tips.
Know more about Allergic Rhinitis/ sinusitis: Here
Be healthy Stay Healthy